What to Wear: to a playdate

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

K, so I love putting together outfits. You tell me somewhere you want to go and BAM! I've got something in my head. So here's a new series of real-life mom type situations in which you might not know what to wear exactly. I am here to help you!

Playdates. Ohhhh playdates. They are meant for your kids, but half the time you need them as much; gossip time with the other moms, talking in voices that don't sound like Mickey Mouse. But let me tell you something about those play groups and playdates. The other moms are judging you. Yeah, they are. I will never be as naive to think that I am exempt from the very same judgements that I pass the time with. Which means if you show up looking all dumpy in your man shoes and capris, you will then be the subject of judgement. I mean really, how hard is it to slip on a pair of flats and brush your hair? Don't even get me started on wearing Crocs to a playdate. I WILL JUDGE YOU. DON'T DO IT!

Not to mention, we all want to be the "hot mom" of the group, know what I mean? The one that breezes in, totally effortlessly, still looking put together, but not so fancy and done up hat she can't get down on the floor and play if she needs to.

So here is what I think you should wear to a playdate. First, lets take a peek at the alternative.













"Oh my gosh, you guys. Sorry I'm late. I stayed up all night baking cupcakes for Timmy's class, and when I dropped them off in my Suburban, the baby needed to be fed. So I gave him some organic baby food, and wouldn't you know it? He spit up all over my OTHER white shoes and white polo. Dagnabbit! Luckily I had another one in my GIANT DIAPER BAG."

*All other moms seethe quietly while sending their kids to school with a box full of twinkies, while feeding their babies spaghettios*

Ladies, don't be THAT mom.










"Hey guys, sorry I'm late. I was up all night watching NON CARTOON movies, and when I awoke, I gave the kids a granola bar and threw on something from my freakin' awesome closet. Also, I stopped on the way to buy everyone chocolate. Here it is, in my totally adorable but non obnoxious bag! Anyone want to come over to my house for daiquiris and celebrity gossip later?"
K, now which one would you rather have at your play date? I mean, really.
(Shirt - Gap, Jeans -Seven for All Mankind, Shoes - Piperlime, Bag - Melie Bianco [Have you seen her stuff ever? LOVE LOVE. Great big bags, all good for non-lame diaper bags, and they are way affordable. Less pricey than those dang $400 Petunia Picklebottoms or whatever they're called.] Watch - Roxy)
So next time you're headed out the door to a playdate, take a minute and decide how you want to be perceived by the other parents. As a tightly wound, June Cleaver-esque mom who doesn't have a personality outside of her children? Or as a cool, individual mom, who knows she doesn't have to sacrifice everything to be a good mom?
Yeah... I don't want to be the lame one either.

5 comments:

mushbelly said...

Love that watch. I have a black one that is very similar, but now I want a red one.

Amber said...

So what if you're the fat mom? Seriously I feel like I'm 5000 lbs heavier than every other mom on my street/in my ward so it doesn't really matter what I wear I'm not going to look cute or put together so why try? What would you wear in that situation?

danielle said...

Ditto Mush. Love that watch. Actually, the shirt, the shoes, the bag AND the watch. I totally have those jeans, which 100% justifies me going out and buying the rest of the outfit, right!? LOL!

PS - My word verification is shota. Funny.

enterrement vie de garçon Paris said...

I like the jonak shoes.
Lilou

John said...

nike roshe run women
michael kors outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
nike air max uk
michael kors bags
true religion
longchamp outlet
cheap oakleys
nike cortez
coach factory outlet
nike air max 90
puma shoes
kate spade outlet
nike trainers
michael kors outlet
ghd flat iron
michael kors outlet online
ralph lauren
yeezy boost 350
michael kors outlet
burberry outlet
converse
true religion jeans
sac longchamp pliage
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas gazelle
louis vuitton outlet online
cheap jordans
burberry outlet online
adidas shoes uk
reebok outlet
coach factory outlet online
hollister sale
jimmy choo outlet
2016426

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.