What I Wore: Meaning Business

Monday, February 9, 2015

You guys, I really feel like I mean business when I wear power dresses like this one. 

I saw this dress and had to have it, but couldn't bear to pay full price (it was around $100 and I don't wear dresses enough to justify that). So imagine my smugness when I realized it was on sale for $29 and only available in my size. 

That means you've been living your life right, my friends. 

Dress: Paper Dolls via Dorothy Perkins (Of course it's sold out now, but I have a few Paper Doll dresses and they are so fun. I totally love this one and this one and this amazingness for plus sizes. Pencil dresses with a sleeve are my jam/unicorn, so when I find a brand that does them consistently, I become a psychotic groupie. 
Shoes: Windsor and a gift from my husband who enables me (similar and so pretty) (similar)
Earrings: Seriously, from a TJ Maxx or something in San Diego. (similar) (pretty and cheap just the way I like it heh heh heh.


Speaking of meaning business, you guys, I have a conundrum here and looking for some input. 

I'm self-employed and work in what mostly amounts to marketing. I'm a marketing writer, and companies hire me to do things like blogs, press releases, ebooks, articles, and other things that make them look fancy. I just finished rewriting an entire company's onboarding manual, which sounds boring to other people, but fills me with actual glee. GLEE. I love using my writing skillz (yes, with a 'z') but still getting to be an active participant in the corporate world. 

I LOVE my job. Love like you would not believe. I meet the most amazing people and get to be part of really great, young, hip teams (I work with a lot of startups who aren't ready to hire a full-time creative writer) and so I'm never willing to scale back. I'm busy all the time and deadlines rule my life, and I love every second of it.

When I started freelancing for work, I had no idea how things would snowball from being a little hobby business that brought in a little side money to an actual, viable career that takes up most of my time and energy.

That being said, some things have to slide when my work schedule is packed. Honestly, I use a paper planner and have deadlines scheduled out two weeks in advance and you've probably noticed that my blog has suffered a little bit.

But here's the thing. This blog is a hobby. It's a vanity project. I put up pictures of myself and write funny things and everyone pats me on the head and believe me, that's definitely fun. But when I started this blog, it was a creative outlet for when I was working in another part of marketing and not getting to write as much as I do now. In fact, I was on the training side of things and had to be on-call and at my computer all the time, so sure, a blog was a no brainer. I was bored and in front of a screen all day. But nowadays, sometimes posting just feels like another item on my to-do list and that's kind of an icky feeling. 

I'm not saying I'm scrapping this thing altogether. I love the visitors that come to the site and those who comment frequently are like, the lifeblood of a little blog like this (and you know who you are!) I do, however, need to lighten up the posting schedule a little bit, though. From now on, I'll be posting when I actually have something to say, which might not be three times a week, you know?

You can't be too sad. There's eleventy billion other fashion bloggers who do it better than I do. 

Instead of posting as regularly as before to this blog, I'll be opening a fashion-only Instagram account @nomoremomjeans and upload pics, outfits, snippets, and snark over there. You can always follow me @jae.curtis, but that's my personal account and you're more liable to get pictures of my kids and dog as you are shoes. I never post outfit pics to my personal account, but plan on doing that over @nomoremomjeans. So it's a start, right?

What do you guys think? Good compromise from now? I feel like I'll be able to post waaaaay more on IG since it takes two seconds. Also, every time I'm out shopping and see ugly things I feel like I want to share that special moment with you. So this should work. 


Again, you guys are the best readers evaaaaaar and I plan on doin' what I do, just not as frequently. That was a weird sentence to type. 


xo,
Jae 

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Well, I'll miss the three-times-a-week fix, but I get it. Great that you love your job and that business is booming for you. The Instagram plan sounds good. Meet ya there!

Melanie E said...

Glad you aren't going away completely. See you on Instagram!

Jennifer Wells said...

Honestly, I never understood how you post as much as you do. I would never want your blog to feel like a chore, I like that you keep things fun. I've thought the same thing about other blogs that I love, that there comes a point when you need to pull away and recharge.

I may have just been persuaded to leap into the 2010s and join IG.

Allison Hill said...

But, but, but, I'm not ON instagram. I don't even know how to USE instagram. I don't even understand what instagram IS. I"M OLD.

I'm not that old. I'm just apparently set in my ways and grumpy. And expect you to have more time than I do. Which is not cool. SNOOPY TEARS.

*sniff* I'm good, guys, I'm good. I can handle it. Nora and I will just pull ourselves into modern world of actually yesterday. What are emojis again?

Heidi J said...

Well, I have been putting off figuring out Instagram. I will do it for you. I agree with everyone - I don't want this blog to be a chore for you! See you on the IG side!

Neldamuse said...

Jae!! I will miss your posts. You are the funniest blogger out there!! I get so tired of narcissistic blogs. Just followed you on IG so I can at least get a chuckle there. I think it's great that you have such a kick-a business. You're awesome. I just read the book by Diane von Furstenberg about her life - The Woman I Wanted To Be. Reminds me of you! You could be her. Why don't you put all of your energy from your other work into building your own personal brand here? I think that could be even cooler. Just a thought. No matter what, you rock!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

I don't follow instagram, so I'll never get to see your pictures. But, as long as I can come to your blog every now and then to get a little fashion advice or Jae hilarity then...sniffle...I guess I'll survive.

Lily George said...

Jae, I have been an admirer of your blog for years and come here every week. I'll miss you but I totally understand. I am drowning under a sea of too many obligations and deadlines myself! Sometimes, some things have to be put on the back burner. Hopefully Freaky Friday will continue? (Pleeeeease?)

Unknown said...

I may have to reopen my instagram account...I will miss your sense of humor most of all....

John said...

ugg boots outlet
kate spade outlet
kd 8 shoes
fitflops sale clearance
cheap ray ban sunglasses
jordans
canada goose pas cher
mcm outlet online
burberry outlet online
toms outlet store
20161203yuanyuan

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.