Sweatshirt Chic

Thursday, February 5, 2015

My family in Toronto is digging out of a snowstorm and I feel awful because it's been beautiful here. Like, the high is 60 today. And I know that's freakish and we are going to be hearing nonstop about a drought come June, but for now I choose to enjoy it.

Yesterday I took my kids to the park to play a game of 500 and I was so glad that a) it was warm and b) that sweatshirts are kind of having a moment right now. My tomboy heart just loves that it's OK to wear warm sweatshirts all the time, so I was running around the park in my Creme de la Creme shirt and leopard sneakers and didn't feel horribly sloppy or way overdressed, either.

But, there's a huge difference between your husband's school sweatshirt and something presentable to wear outside of the house. This spring's sweatshirts are hoodless and super cute, so there's something for everyone. Here are some of my faves!

GIRLY: 

floral

I love that sweatshirts can be really girly. How friggin' cute are these floral ones? They would look crazy bananas adorable with a pair of flats and skinnies, right? Add a cute topknot and you're ready in five minutes. 

SOLIDS: 

solid

The trick to making solid sweatshirts look "on purpose" is to look for interesting colors and textures. When there's a change in texture, it just elevates the entire look. I love the idea of these with a pair of short booties while running errands for the day. If it's cold, add a military jacket. Ugh so cute. 

GRAPHIC:

graphic

I actually LOVE a graphic sweatshirts, but they can look a little little kiddish if you're not careful. I like to stick with black and white or gray patterns, and go for bold stuff, like dots, stripes. I even love that little bat sweater because it's not cutesy. My son would think I was legit if I had that one. These with a pair of knee-high boots would be amazing. I would even tuck the front just a little to make sure the shape was on point, too. 

TOMBOY:

tomboy

Finally, a tomboy sweatshirt is all about fit. It's OK to have masculine styling, like raglan or sports brands, but make sure that thing fits like a glove. I would totally wear these with cuffed jeans and my high tops. Seriously, I am crushing on all of these.


Time to sound off: How do you feel about sweatshirts as a trend? 

2 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

I have a huge bias against sweatshirts because I see people wearing nasty, schlubby, stained or holey pants all of the time. The sweatshirts that you've chosen could change my mind, though, they are very cute.

Unknown said...

I generally don't like sweatshirts but most of these are gorgeous. I recently bought a very light grey one that has a lace sheer panel down the sides. I haven't worn it yet but you've inspired me to try it tomorrow with black skinnies and my suede, blach Chelsea boots!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.