2013 Holiday Gift Guide: For Your Coworkers and Neighbors

Friday, December 6, 2013

So, am I the only one filled with a huge internal sigh when it comes to buying for larger groups? Like, I LOVE shopping for my kids and husband. But factor in people that I don't know all that well and I start to stress. And this year, my husband is with a new company, so I need to figure out their office culture before I even start. Either way, I like to make things easy on me by getting the same/similar stuff across the board. It simplifies my shopping and ensures we don't look like we're playing favorites. Here are some of my fave ideas that I've used in the past.

Also, I should point out that although I work, all of my editors and coworkers are online. This means I don't have to give them anything. Mua ha ha. Instead, I have to worry about what my husband needs to bring to his office. 

1. Homemade Goods

OK, this one is a no-brainer. But keep in mind that there may be people with dietary restrictions, so only make baked goods if you're sure everyone can eat them. I'm excited – this year, I bought tags that say "Don't get too excited: I made this myself" and plan on putting them all over my neighbor gifts as a preliminary warning.

Can I also point out that homemade stuff doesn't have to be a plate of cookies? My husband has a coworker who has given us a jar of his special steak seasoning for the last three years. And I LOVE IT. It's amazing and I use it on everything and get depressed when it runs out come November. So if you have the world's best homemade salad dressing, jam or something else, gift that. People have enough cookies.

2. Something for the Home

I've always liked giving a neutral Christmas decoration for neighbor and coworker gifts. They're easy because you can buy a bunch all at once and then wrap 'em in cellophane for giving and it's done and over with. And seriously, unless they're celebrating Hanukkah, most people are happy to have a new Christmas ornament or whatever. I just try to stay away from religious stuff. A "Let it Snow!" plaque is less polarizing than like, a full nativity.

3. Necessary Stuff

How much do you really know about your coworkers anyway? In the past, I've used stuff that my husband has mentioned about his coworkers to get the ideal gift. One of his coworkers was a complete foodie, so it was a no-brainer to grab a gourmet cookbook and a gift card to an indie restaurant. We also gifted his entire office with new fancy shmancy water bottles after they all complained about not drinking enough water. Then we look like the good guys. I can haz Christmas bonus now?

Another idea I saw that was brilliant for neighbors was a roll of wrapping paper with tape and scissors attached. Super cheap and can I tell you how much I would LOVE that? I am always out of tape.

4. Something Indulgent 

I give teachers, gymnastics coaches and female coworkers the same thing every year: Wallflowers from Bath and Body Works. Seriously, they are a crowd pleaser. And, since I have 5 plugged in at any given time, I constantly have bulbs in every imaginable scent. Teachers really love them because let's face it, kids are smelly. It's just a little something that gives a boost in the weeks after Christmas.

Plus, BBW always has multiple deals, so it's no biggie to pick up soap, hand sanitizers, lotion and whatever else. Wrap it with a cute card and you are done, my friend. Just keep in mind that this only really works with female coworkers. Guys don't want hand lotion, even if it smells like cookies.

5. Skip It

One of my favorite years was when we ditched buying for every person in the family/neighborhood/5-mile radius and did a Sub for Santa instead. I felt like I was buying less "have to" stuff for people who didn't really need it and instead, bought for someone who was really in need. I love doing Sub for Santa and it's always a little tender to explain to my kids the purpose.

If everyone in the office/neighborhood is burned out on doing huge gift exchanges anyway, pipe up and suggest this instead. There are organizations dedicated to doing Sub for Santa, or you could call a local school and see if there's an anonymous family who could use a boost.


Alright, thus concludes this year's gift guides. Hope you got some ideas. If not... I'm sorry. Just remember that if you don't get the absolute perfect gift to the absolute right person....


... it's OK because everyone is drunk at the work Christmas party anyway.


3 comments:

Jennifer Wells said...

Here's a good non-cookie, foodie gift:

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/09/slow-cooker-cinnamon-almonds.html

It's pretty easy, I made some for my in-laws, along with some other gifts my kids made. It was a smash hit!

Jae said...

I was thinking about something like that for my neighbors. I need something tough to screw up because I am a disaster in the kitchen! lol!

Unknown said...

Oh the stresses of buying gifts for people you don't know (well). I've been there. I recently found this cool air plant zen garden and thought it was perfect for the occasion. Should help calm down his coworkers too ;)

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.