How to Look Like You're Not Wearing Makeup

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You know what I hate more than anything? OK, fine. The use of the word "darling" as an adjective. But do you know what is a close second? Being overdressed. Ugh, it's just sucky to show up somewhere and find that you're like 50 percent more glammed up than everyone. And sometimes that's OK, like at a wedding. But when it's like, at a pool party? Lame. That's why I've made it my personal mission in life to find makeup products that look completely natural. That way, I can still polish off my face without being like "I'm insecure and felt the need to spackle myself before this super casual BBQ!"

This summer has been especially important for all of that because of my dumb surgery. I wanted to wear makeup, but it either looked funny with the bandage and now, heavy makeup looks funny with the healing scar. Heading out on the boat, hanging out with my kids at the splash pad, a quick zillion trips to the store for school supplies - none of these require lipstick. So, it's natural look products to the rescue. YAY!

Here are some of my faves when you want to wear makeup but not actually look like it.

OK, so when I don't want to get all makeuppy, I go for super sheer coverage as foundation. I'm a Bare Minerals die-hard usually, but when I'm not doing the usual routine, I've really like either a) going with a primer and nothing on top or b) using BB cream. Both just even out my skin tone enough without really adding color.

I've tried like 9,000 primers (five) but my favorite has been the Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer they sent me a month or two ago. It's the only one that doesn't feel like straight oil going on. I got some from Bare Minerals and was absolutely not a fan.



Once I've done my evening out, I add some color with my weird teenage secret weapon, the Wet and Bonne Bell Bronzer. Ever since I found out my buddy Sara uses it, I've felt strangely vidicated and no longer feel like it's a dirty secret I need to hide. Seriously, a little wash of this on the cheekbones and along the temple is all I need. But here's a hint. Use like, a miniscule amount of you'll end up looking insane. Fun fact: I've used this stuff since I was like, 17 and I've only gone through three bottles.

I definitely skip the mascara and eyeliner on "no makeup" days. It's just too "done." Plus, I usually do this when we're going to be around water for the day because there's nothing grosser than raccoon eyeliner eyes in the pool. OK, there are a few things grosser, but that's up there. Still, I don't want to go totally naked in the eyes, so I grab my handy E.L.F. Cream Shadow Duo. The dark plum color is perfect for making eyes stand out without having to do more than just rubbing it on with my finger.


Finally, I finish the entire thing off with The Body Shop's Lip and Cheek Stain. I have both colors and they are AMAZING. I do the apples of my cheeks and lips and since they're the same color, it looks pretty and flushed instead of artificial.

That's it! In about three minutes, I've gotten polished up and won't look like Barbie at the pool party. Actually, my friend calls those women "bikini moms." You know, the ones that show up to the community pool and never actually dip a toe in the water, but just strut across the hot pavement all afternoon? Ridiculous.

Here's the moral of the story. If you're looking for a way to make your makeup look more natural OR you're new at this whole makeup thing, look for cream, gel or liquid based makeups. They're more blendable and forgiving than a say, a matte powder. You can experiment a little and graduate on up when you feel like you've got the hang of it. We're talking five products max, here. Totally do-able and not like you just underwent an extreme makeover.

Or, you can just be like me today and not wear any makeup and then embarrass your daughter by running a jacket to her at the bus stop. That's cool too.


7 comments:

Jenna said...

Jae: Two words -- BB Cream. I'm serious. Most amazing thing ever CREATED!!!!!!

Also: I say "darling" because my Granny always did. It's the first word I ever learned to describe an outfit.

Jae said...

Seriously Jenna, I love that stuff. I wear it all weekend long when I don't wanna be all makeup-y. How did we live before?

Jennifer Wells said...

My guilty pleasure is that I read books that tell us how French people inherently do everything better. Like, "Entres Nous," and "How to Be Impossibly French," and "Bringing Up Bebe."

Anyway, in one of them, an English lady talked about how she presumed French women wore almost no makeup, they look so natural all the time. She asked a French lady if she could see what cosmetics she had in her purse. She responded with "Sure," and dumped it out on her desk.

Let me tell you, it takes a lot of makeup to look that natural.

Jae said...

Bahaha so true! It's a fine art. I always keep a sheer foundation and lip/cheek stain in my purse *just in case* I have to look like less of a zombie but like I'm not wearing any makeup lol! Shhh our little secret. I also travel with makeup and always freshen up when the pilot calls for descent! ha! Nothing worse than "I just got off a plane" face.

Jennifer Wells said...

By the way, this primer stuff--I had completely written it off without even trying it. I scoffed, like, "They think we'll buy ANYTHING!"

It sounds like it would leave a weird coating on your face to which one affixes "real" makeup, not that it is a substitute for makeup? Did I understand that correctly?

Maggie said...

What the heck is BB cream? Yep laugh it up. Lol

Jae said...

I sometimes wear primer just to even out the skin. It's usually super sheer, so there's no weird coating. It mostly just spackles the holes before you put your real makeup on. lol.

Maggie, BB Cream is a tinted moisturizer-type product that is really thin and makes your skin supersoft but also brightens it up. It's awesome!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.