Ask Jae: Pencil Skirts

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I got an e-mail this week from Joy, who had bought a few pencil skirts (which were ADORABLE by the way) and wanted some outfit ideas.

Let me say that I LOVE pencil skirts. To a ridiculous degree. I think they make anyone's body look pretty insane, and we've talked quite a bit about my love for form-fitting, feminine 40s and 50s fashion. Pencil skirts are so awesomely versatile, and one good pencil skirt can see a lot of use.

Can we also talk about the fit of a pencil skirt? Remember that a pencil skirt is cut slim throughout and is meant to sit above your natural waistline, usually just above the belly button. That might seem weird if you're more used to low slung skirts, but that is the beauty of the pencil skirt.

For Joy, here are some outfit ideas for different circumstances. I want to buy them all. The skirt that I am using for reference is a stacked pencil skirt from Arden B.


For a party:




I love the idea of this blous-y (I hate the word blouse) top with a lacy bolero over top. It's so girly and festive with the bow. The top is from Arden B. as well, and the shrug is from Oasis.


YAY Pencil skirt!


Awesome shoes from Go Jane to brighten up the whole outfit.


And some super girly earrings from Nordstrom. Love these.

All together, you have a hot party or date night look with a serious pencil skirt as the anchor.





For church or semi-casual wedding.


Red satin will always look good with a pencil skirt. I feel like it's noticeable without being too ostentatious. This one is from Debenhams, a great little British shop that ships over the pond. My little brother lived in Manchester for two years, so I am prone to loving British fashion. Don't be afraid to pit a looser top with a slim pencil skirt. The proportions are just right. The only thing you need to worry about really is shirt length. I like to keep shirts on the shorter size with a pencil skirt; it emphasizes a nice, lean and long leg.


Here she is again, the same pencil skirt in a completely different outfit.

These shoes from F21 own my heart with their cuteness. My sister in law has them in red and they are so adorable in person.



And a simple layered necklace, and you are allll set! This one is from Miss Selfridge.



For work:

Pencil skirts are so work appropriate because of their length, but you need to dress them down a little to taper off the va-voom Jessica Rabbit factor.



Try doing it with a fitted cardigan. Love the color on this F21 one.


And a ruched shirt that can be tucked in and will hide any little flaws. This one could also be belted. A little gray belt would be awesome. This one is from Charlotte Russe.



Why, hello pencil skirt! Nice to see you again!


K, so your shoes can be a little naughty secretary, but that's it! ModCloth.


And pin on a little flower for a low key accessory, and you've pretty much got it.

If you don't have a pencil skirt, get one!! I love scouring Polyvore.com for all sorts of designers. Just head over there and type in what you're looking for. Buy one for sure. No matter what size you are, I love the way they lock and load you and make your curves look kickin'.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Okay Jae, here is my question...I am a "plus size" (REALLY don't love that term, but oh well.) woman...talking size 24/26...would a pencil skirt work even for me? Because I think it's adorable, and if the answer is yes, then I shall be on the hunt. Thanks!

Jae said...

Yes yes! Check out this bad boy!
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036084&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442153496&bmUID=1260418022778

Adorable, right? Old Navy has some cute ones too.

Anonymous said...

Jae can I ask what the rules are about socks and flats.

Also what are your thoughts on UGG's or what are your favorite WARM boots for lots and lots of snow?

Thanks!

Joy said...

Thank you! I love that red top & all of the shoes!

Lisa B said...

Since reading your blog, I have been converted to the pencil skirt. I love that church outfit with the red top. I may just go buy the entire thing. Merry Christmas to me!

Jen Jensen said...

Ok, did I miss where that cute black pencil skirt is from?

Anonymous said...

xanax pill much does generic xanax cost walmart - xanax dosage side effects

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.