What I Wore: When I Felt Fat

Monday, January 9, 2012

I hate missing a Freaky Friday post but Friday went completely out of control and I ended up with this instead.

I won't go into the nitty gritty details because after the whole pneumonia post you're probably like "OMG Jae shutup with the health stuff." Let's just say my Friday started off with a trip to the emergency room, a bag of fluid and five doses of morphine being pumped into me via IV and a weekend on straight narcotics. Is that enough information? I'm fine now, just a little dizzy and WAY behind on deadlines, but it'll be OK. Also... my house is a mess. My husband thinks that I'm the catalyst to a messy house, but look what happens after a weekend where I spent all my time in bed drooling on my pillow. YEAH THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed on Sunday morning because I can't stand to be sick for long periods of time. Remember that time I spent a month and a half in the hospital? (Seriously, only click that link if you have 7 hours to read through those posts. I'm warning you now) Yeah, that'll cure you pretty fast from ever wanting to stay in bed, which usually means I push it when I'm still sick and end up sicker. Anyway, thanks to the fluid I had on Friday, I was pretty darn puffy. I probably would have gotten over it except my five year old told me I looked pregnant while I was getting dressed. Um, thanks. So I initiated my patented formula for fat day fashion -- a loose top and a cute blazer.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Cami: American Eagle
Blazer (Is it weird that I'm digging shoulder pads?): F21
Skirt: I can't remember! Somewhere in Canada when I went to visit my BFF.
Shoes: Windsor (Yes, THESE are the ones from my blog that my hubby bought for Christmas. WIN)
Pearls: Nordstrom
Locket: Vintage ca. 1945 (more about that later)
Bracelets: Charlotte Russe
Ring: F21
Pin: Local

So yeah, this is me puffy and on fluids. I am obsessed with this floaty cami because it hides everything. I wore it to Christmas dinner to hide the turkey baby I was carrying around afterward. Add a structured blazer or cami and it looks put together even though I was clearly on Percocet. GO ME.

After taking these pictures I had a four hour nap. Seriously, I don't even remember taking these.


Photobucket
When I wear a really subdued color palette, like cream on black, it means I wear more accessories. Here's a good closeup of everything together. Interesting without being too much.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
How pretty is the bottom of this cami? Answer: very pretty. Pleats and ruffles and chiffon - I want it all. Also, check out this locket. It was a gift from my parents for Christmas -- a 1940s era Royal Canadian Air Force locket from WWII. They were called "Sweethearts lockets" because the men would send them home to their girlfriends and wives while in service. Pretty amazing, right? I've resolved to wear it as much as possible.

Anyway, I think I'm on the mend now, but don't be surprised if my next post is "How to Style Your Hospital Gown: 6 Ways to Glam Up the Green!"

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I have one of those lockets, that my grandpa sent to my granny during the war. You've inspired me to wear it more often. Once I can get this baby to stop putting every necklace I own in his mouth.

Jae said...

lol Jenna... my parents had it cleaned first, which was really good because it was gunked up. Now it's all shiny and gorgeous. I know my grandparents would have wanted me to enjoy it, not put it in a box somewhere!

Unknown said...

I think I might hate you. At least a little.

I have rotten health. Truly, rotten. And have spent more than my fair share of time in the hospital / on icky meds / bloated from a variety of dumb chronic issues / etc. (Sorry, had to whine) but I don't put on a chiffony top with a blazer and sexy skirt with heels. Nope. I have been really proud of myself lately for making a greater effort to at least put on real jeans (not mom ones, of course!), a decent shirt, and my new goal -- to add some jewelry. Hair brushing is an added bonus when I'm feeling fancy.
I'm working on putting more effort into my appearance (since it does give a good emotional boost to feel "put together" in at least one way) but some days (more than I'd care to claim) I choose to put effort into swallowing all my pills and perhaps even feeding my husband and children.
STUPID body!!!!!!!
/end rant.
(I gotta get me a blazer or 5 to pull that trick off!)

Jae said...

Janelle, I totally feel you there. Some days it's just not gonna happen. Although I do find that when I've been sick, getting up and getting dressed helps me get back into the swing of things. If course it totally depends what crappy health thing you're dealing with. I say do what you can to make yourself feel better and the rest is the work of the drugs. Lol!!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.