What I Wore: Black and Red

Monday, January 30, 2012

Just so you know, I totally completed my weekend goal of watching the first season of Downton Abbey. It is TOO good. Now I'm onto the second season in time to catch up to the new episodes on TV. I am obsessed. Which also means I didn't do much over the weekend. I worked on some stuff with a looming deadline, ate some Mini Eggs and hung out with the fam. I love me a low-key weekend.

So, this is basically what I wore all weekend. I'll admit, black and red isn't the most creative color combination in the world -- it's pretty basic. But when I'm in a rush, it's an old standby that I know looks good with zero effort on my part. It seemed like when I got ready this past weekend, it was all under a super fast time limit, so I gladly went with stuff I knew looked good.

Like when my husband bumped up our date night to accommodate the return of Jimmer against the Jazz on TV (only true basketball widows know what I'm talking about)

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Top: I can't remember and it's in the wash now so I can't look at the label.
Jacket: c/o mod bod
Skinnies: Refuge
Shoes: Dear
Earrings and ring: F21

When we first took these pics, the flash made my shirt super see-through so I had to add a cami. I felt like such a celeb!

OMG STORY TIME! So, at the last minute we decided to bring the kids along with us to our "date night." It was completely disastrous. I had called ahead for reservations for two, so it threw them for a loop when we showed up with four. Before our dinner arrived, my son had spilled his root beer and an entire salt shaker, then proceeded to spoon spaghetti into his jacket when we weren't looking. Then, I was imitating the way my son eats spaghetti and my daughter laughed so hard she totally vacuumed up a noodle into her wind pipe and then choked for a full minute, resulting in my performing a reformed Heimlich and her barfing onto her lap. Then, they brought out dessert for the kids, which was a cup of pudding decorated like dirt with worms and my son become so convinced that it was REAL dirt and REAL worms that he carried it home with him and has been treating it like a pet ever since.

It's OK though, because we left a really good tip and promised ourselves to never ruin our date night with kids ever again.

Then, Sunday morning started with an early meeting for the husband, so I had an hour to get me and the kids bathed, dressed and fed all by my lonesome, so red and black came to my rescue again.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Dress: c/o eShakti
Belt: c/o mod bod
Tights: F21
Bracelet: Vintage
Shoes: Steve Madden
Ring: Lia Sophia

(Ignore the wrinklage -- that's totally a word -- this picture was taken after three hours of kid wrangling and after our Saturday night escapades, I didn't care.)

Check out this bracelet too. It's one of my fave pieces from my collection because it was my late grandmother's and she had amazing taste in jewelry.

Photobucket
The coolest thing is that the jewelry is stamped with a "JC" hallmark, which are mine and my hubs' initials. I would say that's pretty cool.

Also, I'd like to point out that while I was uploading pictures, I found this on my camera:
Photobucket
Yeah, that's my daughter taking a dramatic selfie on my camera. What...the....heck.

Anyway, I got all of the red and black out of my system for now, so expect to see more creative color combos in the future. Unless Jimmer is playing again.

Also, on Wednesday I'm going to answer some of the questions that have come through my email inbox. If you have a fashion-related question you want me to answer, send it on over and I'll include with with this week's Q&A. You can also post them on the Facebook page or in the comments of this post if you're so inclined! I promise I won't make fun of you.

OK, I might make fun of you. But I'll also answer your question too, so it'll be worth it.

Happy Monday everyone!

9 comments:

Beth said...

Love it! Nothing wrong with a good old staple.

Unknown said...

Love that dress! I now have a list of eShakti dresses I absolutely *must* own... someday. I love that you can customize them! I like knee length dresses, but I'm tall so "knee length" dresses are always too short on me.

Jae said...

Janelle, this one had short sleeves and I added the three-quarter instead. LOVE! It gives it a more vintage-y vibe. Now I'm obsessing over this one. Want. http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0023087/Be-a-sweetheart-dress

*~LeLa~* said...

loled at your account of your kids. we have a strict no-spaghetti rule when eating out for that very reason.

Alisha said...

Not really sure why this is even up for debate but it made me laugh and wonder what you have to say about it!

http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/30/10270632-drop-crotch-jeans-trend-hot-or-horrible

Nelda said...

First of all, I LOVE your blog! It's always at the top of my blogroll. So this question is not so much about dressing myself as it is about "dressing" my new home. We just bought a log home in Heber and I remember you saying that you live in a log home. Any decoration tips? Would you perhaps consider it as a blog topic at some point? I am sure your home has as great taste as you do with your clothes! Could be another blog of yours "How Not To Dress Your Log Home Full Of Fishing Stuff And Other Tacky Log Home Things" lol

Jae said...

Nelda, that was basically the best comment ever. I strive daily to make my log home not look like a fishing cabin. But then, we have an actual fishing cabin at Strawberry lol. Let me see what I can dig up for pics and ideas and stuff!

Nelda said...

Yay! I did a little happy dance that you wrote back. Thank you so much for thinking of some tips for me and all log cabin dwellers. So excited to learn from you. And that's too funny that you have an actual fishing cabin. Hope I didn't offend. But seriously there are barely any good cabin deocrating blogs or even pinterest pics out there. Thanks for your help!

shayslout said...

find out here now q7h73t4g90 cheap designer bags replica replica bags supplier e7h35w4n54 more d5p03p0s75 buy replica bags replica bags in gaffar market replica bags uk hermes replica b0k50a9d03 replica bags online uae

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.