Freaky Friday: A Major Case of the Stabbies

Friday, December 2, 2011

I recently spent some time with a person who was a "cost-dropper."

Oh, you don't know what that is? A cost-dropper is someone who always wants you to know how much everything she bought cost her. Cost-dropping can be annoying when a person always wants you to know how cheap everything she bought was, but it's roughly 67.9 times more annoying when she wants you to know how EXPENSIVE it was.

*This* cost this much and I usually only use stuff that costs *this* much and also I'm annoying.

Here's the thing. A lot of times, cost doesn't mean a dang thing. I hate the idea of women thinking that if they don't have a massive clothing budget, they can't look good. That's why I like to mix and match different price points in my outfit. Sure, I like a designer watch, but I also love my Target socks, my Walmart reversible belt and my Forever21 blazer. If it looks good, I don't care what it costs or what brand it is.

I'm very open minded that way. It was my liberal Canadian upbringing. So I start to get a major case of the stabbies when someone wants to keep reminding me how much money she spends on stuff because I don't think it's worth a lick.

Not to mention, there's a lot of people who spent kajillions on their clothes and still look crappy. So I decided to dig up some designer finds on FF today. I've done it before and it's freakishly easy.

Acne top

Tin man couture is always hot, especially at the cool price of $1,210.
My favorite part is how it triangulizes the boob area.

Lanvin sweater


I've renamed this $1,045 sweater "The Expediting of Old-Lady Turkey Arms." Go ahead, try waving!


Stella McCartney top


"Uh... the collection is due and this $1,000 mesh dress thingy isn't finished!"
"DO we have any construction paper left?"
"Yes!"
"Just cut out some circles and group them so they look like flies! Masterpiece!"

David Koma jacket

"What about this $9,600 jacket."
"Dollar-store pompom balls! GO!"


Marchesa dress

I know this is a $4,700 Marchesa dress but it just smacks of early 90s prom. And if you're wondering, that's not a good thing. The early 90s was a bleak, bleak time for fashion.

Yves Saint Laurent dress


I call this $1,600 sweater dress "The Smuggler." As in, you want to fly but can't be separated from your rare Himalayan rabbits so you jam them into the pockets of your ugly sweater so as not to arouse suspicion. Also... this was SOLD OUT.

MUGLER jacket


Seriously, if you're going to charge me $3,700 for a jacket, would you mind giving me the whole thing? (This is proof I'm getting old. I also complain about buying ripped jeans.)

Jacket
This $11,220 fur diaper is also sold out, so looks like some freaks are going to have a very unhappy Christmas indeed.


Lanvin dress
When I haven't gotten the slightest clue where my head goes in a $2,400 dress, I feel like it's a bad sign.



So seriously, don't feel bad if you don't spend major coin on furry diapers and whatnot. I'll still love you shopping at the mall or T.J. Maxx and if you play your cards right, you'll look better than those who pay for labels.

Alright, so I confessed my pet peeve with cost-droppers.... anyone else want to join the fray and vent it out? It's Friday! Let's get our stabbies out so we can have an awesome weekend!

7 comments:

Tishka said...

I've gotta agree with you about the "cost-droppers." However, I don't mind when I ask people where they got something and they tell me where and then add something like "and it was only 6 bucks!" But in that case I asked, so I think that's different. It goes for everything too - not just clothes. I hate it when people start assaulting me with unwanted information about how much their house payment is or what their monthly lotion-and-soap budget consists of. Seriously.

Jae said...

Oh, seriously. If someone gets me a good deal on something or I got a really good deal, I'm happy to tell. But just saying it because you want everyone know you spent a lot of money? Kill me. Just walk around with the price tag, then.

Morgan Hagey said...

I find color-blocking to be...not pretty. I don't understand why dressing like Ronald McDonald is attractive. If you say you have a whole post about how awesome color-blocking is, I'll still love you.

heather said...

You have made my sister & I laugh for months now thanks to Freaky Friday! I know I've learned a ton from you and realizing that I cost-drop on occasion is something I need to be more aware of! I guess I only do it to know how much something that I really like costs to see if it's in my budget....but I never thought about how it comes across. So thank you for the words of caution!
Keep up the gut busting posts - it's something we both look forward to every week!!

Jae said...

Heather, if someone asks me how much something was honestly, I'm happy to tell. It's other people just casually dropping the price of their expensive items that gets to me!

Lol, Morgs. I like color blocking in pretty colors. But when they're totally clashy... ew.

Jennifer Wells said...

Kim Kardashian must have a huge budget for clothing. And yet, she still mostly dresses horribly.

Queen Mommy said...

Oh my goodness! The rare Himalayan rabbits in the sweater pockets was too funny! I tend to be pretty cheap mostly, and I've been able to get a lot of deals through consigning, shopping sales, and thrifting. That's the stuff I'm temped to cost drop about....although only to my mom, my sister, or a close friend. Anyone else would have to ask before I would offer up the info.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.