Maternity Monday

Monday, September 8, 2008

We haven't done a maternity monday for a while, and now as I sail out of the first trimester and into the blissful second trimester, my disproportionately large belly is needing new clothes. So I went shopping.

Now, can I say that I think maternity clothes are the BIGGEST waste of money ever? The clothes you get from Motherhood, Mimi, whatever are so giant that they will only fit you as you are driving to the hospital to give birth. I bought a couple shirts from there and have been laughing at how ridiculous I look. I don't know what got into me.
Also, my favourite thing about pregnancy, HANDS DOWN is that you never have to be concerned about how your belly looks. Therefore, I wear the tightest clothes I can find. I'm not lying.

But therein lies another challenge. After you have a baby, you don;t necessarily want to wear your tightest shirt in the closet. You feel blobby and unattractive, and if you're like me, weep at the very thought of what you used to look like.

So, I like to buy maternity clothes with two purposes. Some, I buy because I get to wear a tighty shirt and look all pregnant, and some I buy with that transitional period in mind. You know the one, where people want to come visit you and you feel like death warmed over so you slap on some mascara and pull on your husband's scouting shirt and some yoga pants and yet, are still expected to look like instead of spending time pushing a HUMAN out of your VA JAY JAY you were instead, at a lovely health spa.

So I'm bitter.

Anyhow, here's some cute stuff that isn;t really maternity but works all the same, AND will work for post-pregnancy, where if you can't look healthy, then at least you can look cute.



K I love the idea of this... would it not look adorable with a belly poking out? LOVE.



Love this colour, and this will totally hide any jigglies after the baby...


Also, these shirts with bands around the bottom are lovely for maternity shirts. They have this nice little pocket area to place the belly in, and look! no bows! Sorry, I just hate maternity clothes with bows and frills and junk on it. My word, why do maternity companies DO that?



This one would be great post partum. Throw this on with a pair of jeans, some sequiny flats and you are officially the "together" mom on the block, while all the other moms are shuffling around in sweatpants. IN YOUR FACE, OTHER MOMS.



Yeah, I deffo bought this shirt. I like yellow, its flattering, I get really great nursing boobs. Nuff said.



Not sure if a regular shirt will make a good maternity shirt? Check the length... is it longer than your regular t-shirt? then it has plenty of room. Now check, do they carry it one size larger than your pre-preg size? Ding ding ding! We have a winner folks.


Well, I am off to a vacation with the fam for the next week, so you'll have to do without my fashion commentary for a few days. Try not to go outside looking like this, plllllllllllease???

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

K, you are SO hilarious! I love reading your blogs, it really lightens up my day and gives me inspiration to dress a little better. Now, if only I had the time and money...... I had my 3rd baby 3 months ago and still have the jigglies, so thanks for your suggestions!!!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Hmmm...I had my third 9 months ago and still have the jigglies. That could have something to do with the ice cream I'm about to eat...LOVE tops with the band on bottom. SO flattering!
Have fun on va-ca!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.