Apologies, Apologies: Kickin' it Casual

Thursday, September 25, 2008

So you might have noticed the insane lack of post-age around here. This week has been crazy busy and I don't get enough sleep as it is. But my daughter has given me the sweet, sweet gift of her sleeping in late, so I have a spare second to write. But I am sorry for not getting around sooner!


K, so today I want to talk about everyday. I know I post some things on here like the LBD and you're like k, that's great Jae, it really is, but I'm not going to get all dolled up to go to the post office. I'll just wear a t-shirt.


NOOOOOOOO
. I know you're not going to wear your cocktail dress to the grocery store, but please, STEP AWAY FROM THE T-SHIRT. I have this vendetta against the tee. Yes, I can understand it's value on say, a Saturday while raking leaves, or even to wear to bed! But too many moms (and women for that matter) totally adopt it as their uniform, and end up looking uninteresting and dowdy.


Now, when I say "t-shirt", I am thinking of this:





BOOOOO. So boring.


So why do you wear a t-shirt? Because it's easy! You don't have to think about it! It matches your mom jeans!


And to that I say shame on you. For one, if you still have mom jeans by now, you should leave this blog immediately. And another thing, their are tons of tops out there that are easy, match NICE jeans and you don't have to think about.


Next time you go shopping, I want you to examine the top you are looking at. THink "why am I buying this? Is there something special about this top that makes me want to buy it? IS it different than the tops I already own?" If the answer is no to these, put it back down and step away. Don't buy a shirt just because you need something to cover up your ta-tas. Buy it because you LOVE it and it makes you feel awesome.


K, so here are some JUST AS EASY alternatives to the nasty old t-shirt. They are just as easy to throw on, but you'll feel a whole lot less shlumpy (All from Venus or Body Central, which is my go-to place for interesting tops)



Check the embellishment, plus the empire seam on this baby.



So ridiculously flattering. Wear it with some worn-in jeans and some comfy flats. You look put together without looking like you've tried too hard.



Love the keyhole on this top. It's super subtle, but still different enough for people to go "OMG< class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_9">you're like "Oh, I have this awesome friend named Jae..."



We're into fall, and I'll focus on sweaters later, but don't you love this one? Love that shawl neckline that wraps.




EVERY mom should own a faux layered sweater. You chuck it on, and instantly look like you mean business. I would do this with dark jeans and a pointier shoe. It is SO put together, and you didn't even do the work.



Vampy, vampy! I loooove this top. The rivets up the side give it some interest, while the ruching hides any flaws (not that you have any) and it is just hotness.


So please, retire your Hanes and try something new. In the words of my daughter's favourite show, Yo Gabba Gabba "Try it! You might like it!"

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a REALLY bad habit of buying T-Shirts. I honestly have like 6 that are exactly the same just different colors ... yeah. But, remember those tops I told you I got the other day, yeah, totally different than T-Shirts, and super cute. Just so you know. :) I love this blog. It helps me think that someday, I won't dress so much like a mom, lol. Although, I'm wearing a t-shirt today even after reading this. :)

Savannah said...

Um, what was that website again? I can't find anything under Venus of Body Central.

Jae said...

HAHAHA whoops! Yeah that was supposed to say Venus OR Bodycentral. Their sites are www.venus.com and www.bodyc.com. Sorry!! Like I said... it's been a loooong week.

Kara I am proud of you! I am excited for our December shopathon!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Jae I thought of you today when I was buying my new LEOPARD PRINT BALLET SHOES. They're gorgeous. Love them.

Morgan Hagey said...

But Jae.... I have LOTS of t-shirts....

Jae said...

Morgs, save them for painting the house. hahaha.

YAY for leopard flats. Love love love!

Anonymous said...

ummm... I was thinking you lived in Draper... ahhh... I am a little disappointed.

Beth said...

I love that yellow top! I don't know if I can pull off yellow, but I would love that in a darker color

Jae said...

Beth, you have darker hair right? Then try yellow! So cute! I will buy anything immediately if it is yellow. Weakness!!

And I am am out here in the Happy Valley. lol.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.