Getting Out Of Your Comfort Zone--You Can Do It!

Monday, September 27, 2010


I just got back from spending a weekend with grade 7 and 8's. My daughter is now in grade 7 and they had a music theater camp over the weekend. I of course volunteered so I didn't miss this first big grade 7 experience.

Now, I constantly had to remind myself that these were 12 and 13 year olds, and my perspective was coming from a 36 year old, but despite the lack of sleep and the cold, I thought it was an amazing camp.

For the first 4 hours they learned a musical number and put it to dance then the rest of the time we did the programs of the camp. This is where it gets really cool. They had some really great activities for everyone to try. They had 3 different types of high ropes, which don't look that high when you are encouraging from the ground. They had archery, team ropes, zip line, rock climbing and so much more.

Most of the kids have never tried anything like this at all. Never been in a harness, or held an arrow. Some jumped right in to give it a go, and others needed encouragement. By the end, everyone tried something that was completely out of their comfort zone.

It's so easy to stay where we are comfortable. That's why we don't progress. By being uncomfortable, you will see greater success, no matter what your goal.

When I saw the high ropes, I knew I had to try it. After seeing how great the kids did, I wanted to challenge myself. As myself and another teacher started climbing the tree, you quickly realize how high you are actually climbing. I knew at that point, there was no turning back (especially with all the kids eyes on you). Getting to the top of the really big tree was ok, I did some deep breaths but it was not bad. Now I had to stand on the really skinny wire, and hold onto another really skinny wire that was at my shoulder height, and move across the other side. Now this was actually pretty easy for me, I was thinking wow, I can really do this---then the other teacher got on the wire, and it began moving all over the place. It was a whole other experience when you had someone else giving you resistance and challenge. We tried to work together to make it easier for both of us to get across.

In the end we accomplished our goal. As we sat back and were lowered to the ground, I had this great thrill. I had done it. It looked impossible, (so so high), but even with the nerves, we pushed through and it was great!

The point to this story is that we are like this in our everyday lives and even our exercise habits. We tend to do what we are comfortable with. Sometimes that's not all a bad thing, but if we go outside our comfort zones, we can often get the results we want so much faster and do something you didn't think you could do along the way.


If all you ever do is walk or run, try doing weights or mix it up with something like rock climbing. When you try something new, you often use muscles in a way you are not used to and it feels great. Look up in your city if they have an indoor rock climbing facility. You may need to take one lesson to learn how to belay and get the general rules, but after that you can take a friend and go have fun. It's an amazing challenge and the muscles you work!!

If you are bored with your same old cardio routine, try a dance class that will get you sweating. I was thinking of this very thing. I was actually thinking of taking a hip hop class. This is so out of my comfort zone, which is why I know I need to just do it.

By doing these different things, you will find out what you like and maybe what you don't like so much, but what's great is that you will find things you can do to stay active and healthy without always doing the same boring things over and over again. You will feel great, feel challenged and you will stay motivated.

This weeks challenge is to get out of your comfort zone. I want you to try something you were always afraid to do. Take a leap of faith ( I will talk about that one later) and just do it, I promise you will be so glad you did.

Committed to your fitness success,

Kelly Parker
www.fitmommakeover.net

0 comments:

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.