How to Wear...

Thursday, December 11, 2008

So, I said in that post where I was like, making fun of every trend I've seen so that I've probably offended like half of you, that I really enjoy summer scarves. Summer scarves have been pretty big, starting in about spring of this year and I still see them all over. Now believe me, I know how ironic it is that I just badmouthed trends and now I am singing the praises of one. But there is a HA-YUGE difference between wearing a trend because everyone else is, and doing it because you really love it. Plus I see this one sticking around for another season at least.

K, here is the thing about summer scarves. Remember this: They are an accessory. Treat them as such. They are not an item to build your outfit around, if you get what I'm saying. They are meant to look a little sloppy, and a little after-thoughty. Like a pair of earrings, you kind of add them to finish off the outfit... (or at least this is how I wear earrings... .except for SE XY ones, which I do in fact plan my outfit around... I wear it with my va-jay-jay hugging stripper dress and my knee high boots, natch. Looks realllllly hot with a 6 month pregnant twin belly OW OW) So when picking out a summer scarf, its best to choose one not overbearing, so it's not like HERE'S MY SCARF!! They are supposed to look easy and whateverish.

Summer scarves are only as cute as how you wear them. You want it to look totally casual and like, whatever, instead of being like HEY I BOUGHT THIS NEW SCARF AND WANTED TO WEAR IT!!! Anywho, I have one, and the way I wear it is not matchy matchy with my outfit. Like, I honestly think the best way to wear it is with jeans and a white tee, because the pattern that close to your face can be overwhelming. Keep it super casual or it will look costumey. And unless you have short hair or are wearing your hair off of your face (read: ponytail) abstain from earrings. It's just a lot around the facial area. But I am totally cool with a sleek ponytail, scarf and some hoop type earrings. Ooh! Hot! What did I do with my hoop type earrings?

Also, I know the typical way to wear it is kind of cowgirly, but that only works if you have a smaller scarf. Again, overwhelming factor. Liiiiike So!
Cute, but thats alotta scarf!

I tend to wear mine like a regular winter scarf... you know like, you toss it back over your neck and pull then ends back around so that it would theoretically keep your neck warm, but then take the piece that is on your neck and pull it down so its more loose and a little easier looking. Here's an example. Side note, I totally just had to DIG this scarf out of my closet where it has been patiently waiting for Saturday's easy breeziness to wear it (YES I plan my clothes in my head, deal with it.) and I'll tell you right now, a foray in my closet is no easy-breeziness. It's a near death experience. I almost got a concussion from falling handbags. SEE WHAT I DO FOR YOU?

My floor is delightfully clean!

See what I did there? Notice that both scarves I chose are super neutral. If you want it to be the casual look you're trying for, make sure you don't have to work your butt off to get it to match anything in your closet. The nice thing about summer scarves is that there's no "wrong" way to tie them. Remember that this trend is supposed to look like you just threw it on and totally casual. Anything that you have to work at is going to look strangely professional, if that makes any sense...

Finally, the piece of advice I always want to give is that if you want to try a trend, then WEAR IT. Don't let it wear you. I don't care if the newest trend is to wear a plastic Timex watch band on your head with ribbon tied to it, if you really like it, don't just meekly "give it a shot". Put it on and work it like you invented it and don't understand why anyone WOULDN'T wear a plastic Timex watch band on your head with ribbon tied to it. It's pretty much the way to wear any fashion. Its clothes! Don't be scared! You can always do what I do and relegate them to the Goodwill box if they're naughty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. You always make me laugh, and I agree with most of what you post, too. This is my first time commenting, but I've been reading for a few months. I'm also glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected with your pregnancy. I can't imagine what an emotional roller coaster you must be on. Take care!

Blair said...

Just wanted to tell you about another great site! http://www.shopittome.com

Unknown said...

How to wear is a good question, it give beautiful look... talking to the Cheap pashmina Scarves it complete the dress of any kind with any color.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.