Dressing Your Man

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

So I've received a number of e-mails about how oh yeah, dressing the mom's is all well and good, but what about my slouchy husband. K, right off the bat, guys are tricky. They seem to have a more defined style than women do. That's because women typically are open to new ideas when it comes to the fashion arena. Men, however, are not. They get stuck in obsessive ruts with their clothes, which explains why so many of them still dress like they're in senior year of high school.



So, basically what I'm saying is, I can tell you what I pick out for my husband, but this is not a one size fits all deal. I'm not going to lie, I like a certain style on guys and pretty much buy that stuff for my husband, who more often than not is happy to wear it. So if you don't have this kind of sway with your husband OR he refuses to take of his Star Wars t-shirt, then I am sorry. You're pretty much out of luck.


So anyways, here's what I like on guys.


1) Polos. Polos are not scary. Most guys will be okay with wearing them. Please watch the fit though. Some polos, no names *cough*Old Navy*cough* wash funny and can become boxy. We don't want boxy polos. Try something with a slimmer, longer fit and your poor husband won't have to be yanking it down 24/7.




2) Sweaters. Omg, I love a guy in a sweater. My favourite are the half zip ones, because then you can get your guy to wear collared shirts underneath them. Collared shirt plus half zip sweater = me love you long time. When buying sweaters for your guy, its best to err on the side of largeness because tight sweaters can come off looking the wrong way, if you know what I mean.




3) Speaking of collared shirts. Hello daddy. I love these with jeans and rolled up sleeves. They can fit a little snugger if you want, especially is you're using them as layering pieces. If it's too bulky, then its uncomfortable, and guys don't wear uncomfortable clothes. Ever. They will not suffer for fashion like we do ladies. Sorry.




4) Jackets. Your guy should have a nice, go-to jacket that he can wear on a date with you (presumably) or to a work function or just whatever. Be prepared to spend money on it. I bought my husband a wool coat like, three years a go. It was pricey, but it's nice, and what do you think he always reaches for when we're headed out? That's right, his pricey coat. I also bought him a more fun leather jacket as well. Spend money on one nice, solid piece he'll wear forever, then you can mix it up with fun pieces that cost less.




5) Jeans. Jeans for guys are so personal that I hesitate to even suggest. But I'm presumptuous like that, so can I suggest that the same thing that works for you might work for him? Bootcut. Not like ,girl bootcut because that's weird. But give him a little wiggle room. My favourite jeans for guys are the Loose Boot from the Gap or similar. Carpenters are a no-go. Unless your husband is really a carpenter. And honestly, if buying your guy jeans ALWAYS go with a dark wash k? They match literally everything.




Once you've established a basic "nice" wardrobe for your guy, then he can supplement it with whatever. I think you'll find though, that if you start him down the right path in clothing, that he'll be more apt to follow it when shopping for himself, if that ever happens. I have to drag my husband by his ear to the mall, and even then you'd think I was giving him a root canal while pointing at things I like. But I'm proud to say that he is pretty much always well dressed, except on Sundays when he wears black socks and tan shorts. WHY.


Even if you're reading this thinking "K, my husband/boyfriend/fiance/significant other will NEVER wear that stuff!" Or even if you don't particularly like it (I obviously like my husband to look very clean and tailored and to basically look like a Docker's ad) think of what you do like on guys and never underestimate the power of suggestion. Hasn't your guy ever said to you in passing that he likes something on girls so you rush out in a mad panic trying to find it so you can be the girl of his dreams? Ask me why I own this shirt in every possible color.



You guessed it. My husband "suggested" that he liked it on me. Do the same thing to him! It totally works.
So, good luck girls. Getting your husband to change the way he dresses might be kind of a feat. Not to mention, you probably fell in love with him when he was wearing his ratty Philly Eagles t-shirt right? Riiiiiiight? So buck up, buy him a nice shirt for Christmas and see what happens.

8 comments:

Meagan said...

Hi, you might not know me, but I found your blog off the blog roll on BBC.

Anyway, I enjoy this blog and think you're funny. I especially liked the comment today about how so many guys dress like they did in high school (I won't even to into how many girls do the same thing). Anyway, that is my pet peeve. I love a guy that knows how to dress up a little!

Thanks for allowing me to nod my head and say "AMEN!" once in a while. It makes me feel less critical and more, um... constructive!

Nathaly said...

Oh my gosh, Jae. You had me rolling with this one. I was sitting at the computer laughing like a crazy person. Mostly because I had a talk with Marcelo, literally a week ago that started with, "Babe...you've let yourself go." Lol. I explained that if I have to try to find jeans that make my booty look nice, he needs to wear a shirt that a) is ironed, b) matches his pants, and c) has no holes in it.

Chavah Kinloch said...

LOL this is what I buy for my husband too. I had to step in after I got sick of only ever seeing him in tees,a cap and basketball shorts. Not that I don't like that style! It's just sometimes you need to switch it up for a girl! My hubby ends up feeling pretty god about himself in the clothes I/we choose so it can't be too bad.

Blair said...

We are going shopping for hubby next week. He's dreading it but I promised I wouldn't change his style too much, just update it. (If you call tees, jeans, and tennies a style.) I LOVE your blog. Thank you for doing it because I seriously needed an intervention when I found it. Now, I get compliments all the time. Merry Christmas!

mushbelly said...

I bought my dh two sweaters for Christmas - a half zip one and a button one. He looks totally hot in both. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Can you do somemore posts on goofy stuff you find? Those "SE XY" earrings were the best! You have a hilarious way of writing!

Anonymous said...

My husband would love to wear sweaters. In fact, he even likes sweater vests! (preppy, even).

There are two problems, though:

1) Fat men don't look good in sweaters (his words)

and 2) I live in the desert, where it's rarely cold enough for him to want to wear a sweater.

Men have an advantage in wearing the same thing--it's always available. A man likes a certain style of jeans--they still MAKE the same ones he wore in high school. A woman likes a certain style of jeans--good luck finding them next year!

This is why places like Land's End do well; they sell the same styles over and over for men (and some even for women).

yanmaneee said...

jordan 4
nike air max 95
christian louboutin outlet
christian louboutin outlet
air jordan
yeezy boost 350
nike shox
birkin bag
fila shoes
michael kors handbags

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.