The Beauty of Online Shopping

Monday, October 20, 2008

So I got a comment on my last post about online shopping, and I thought NEAT! I shall write a post about it.

I am a die-hard online shopper. I really think its because I am a die-hard in real life shopper, but sometimes I just can't get out for whatever reason, and browsing along online is the next best thing. And I am the queen of adding to my cart and not buying things. But I think it's just like real shopping... you grab stuff that you think you'll love, and then five minutes after wandering around the store, you're like "I really don't love this!" And hang it back discreetly on some other rack. At least with online shopping, you don't have to worry about getting in trouble when you put it back where it doesn't belong.

Anyhow, through all my years of online shopping, I've picked up some tips and tricks and stuff to help me along. I HATE HATE HATE sending stuff back, so if I buy something, it's at my house for good. I still have a pair of pants I ordered like, two years ago that never fit and I just gave them to the DI, tags still on. Terrible. So when I order stuff, it's there for good.

First, sizing. I would recommend that for now, if you're a newbie, you try online shopping at stores that you frequent in real life. For instance, lets take Old Navy. I shop at Old Navy allllll the time at the brick and mortar store. So I am super familiar with their sizing. When I order online, I have no guesses on whether or not something looks good.

When you go to a brick and mortar store that you LOVE, take note of your sizing information. I actually keep a little note of all the stores and what size I am in each one. Then you can look online for awesome sales. I like online sales, because whereas the actual brick and mortar store is clearancing out their excess and leftover inventory for that location, the online store is clearancing out a ton of warehouses, and you can get sweet deals.

Also, internet shopping is NOT THE TIME to try new fads and trends. One time, like five years ago when those Kangol hats were in, I convinced myself that I would look awesome in one and ordered one online. It looked teerrrrrrrrible. You don't even know how bad. It was too big for my face or something... whatever. What I'm saying is, internet shopping is not for "trying" stuff out. But things in styles you know you look good in and love, and there is no guess work. I sold the hat on eBay.

Last, there is one department where you can go crazy online shopping, and that's with shoes. Because shoes always look good. Unless it's a pair of boots that you don't know if they'll fit over your calves, buy as many pairs of pumps as humanly possible online. I would say 2/3rds of my collection are online purchases. A word to the wise though, if you are ordering pumps, order a half size up. Just trust me and your tootsies will thank me.

So, that's the rundown. No go! Go my lovelies! Buy things!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So idea for a follow up post to this. What are your favorite online shops? I am always on the lookout for new ones to shop from.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You could/should/PLEASE do a post with suggestions for people who are a little bit more...plump.

I Am Frugal said...

I just wanted you to know that I have been looking at your blog for a little while and I really like it so I have nominated you for an award over at my blog iamfrugal.blogspot.com. You can see all the details for the award by going to my blog.

Thanks for your website.

Erin
I am Frugal

Anonymous said...

Old Navy always has some good deals and I feel like the selection has upped itself.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.