Revisiting: Capri Alternatives, or That Girl That I Hate

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

So I KNOW this is a repost, but I thought I'd revisit the whole capri debate. Especially since I'm leaving on vacation TODAY and still need to make a batch of muffins. MUFFINS! Since when am I so domestic?

Before I repost this, I'd like to reiterate when I dislike capris. I dislike when they cut across the widest part of your leg. That automatically makes your leg look short and wide. If you want to wear capris or their kinder, gentler cousins, crops, make sure they cut across the slimmer part of your ankle.

This post sparked all sorts of debate last time around, but I stand by my opinion. Let's try this again!

********************************************

It's no secret that I really, really dislike capri-pants. I totally own a pair of pants that can be rolled and tied into capris, but does that really count? Doubt it. Here are some of the reasons I think capris are the modern mom's worst enemy.

1) They make you look stumpy because they cut your leg off at the chubby-calf area.

2) They are always made of some wishy washy fabric like linen or polyester. And in light, unflattering colors like white. And they have those awful slits in the side. Ugh.

3) They are never worn properly. Ill-fitting t-shirts and thick-soled flip flops abound.

4) They scream frumpalicious. And, bonus reason they make your butt look like a flat pancake. Which would be okay if pancake butts are in. Alas, they are not.

5) I once worked with a girl who wore capris and flip flops EVERY DAY to the office, no matter the weather. They made her look three feet tall and develop severe cankles. She ALWAYS pairs them with a horizontally striped shirt and subsequently ruined my day every time I saw her... which was every day. Also, she sometimes was nice to me, and sometimes was evil, so it created sad feelings which were related to the capris.

Is that enough reason for you?

I understand why moms enjoy the capri pant (which by the way, is any pant that ends anywhere between below the knee to mid-shin. Anything longer is considered a crop, which I quite enjoy in the right context.)


These are awful. And an abomination in my sight. Be gone, stumpifying pant-wear!

I see. They are cool in the summer, when you don't want to wear heavy jeans. They are easy to wear, and you can pair them with fug sandals. But I contest that capris should not be your only choice when it comes to summer wear, even if you are trying to hide your post-partum ham-thighs. (I've been there, friend.) Dresses, skirts and shorts are all totally adorable and put together, without looking so very PTA.

Ch-check it out.

Dress

Items in this set:
Miso Ditsy Cute Dress, 25 GBP
Forever21.com - Damsel Sweater Cardigan, $20
Hoodies & Jackets « Off The Wall Clothing
Frye Carson Pull On, $350
Fashion Handbags, Wallets, Totes - Teens - Vanity, $27

Okay, so the boots are pricey, but can I tell you how much I LOVE summer dresses with a harder edge? This type of outfit will be much cooler than capris in the hot weather, not to mention you'll look smokin' hot AND right at home at a Tim McGraw concert. Try doing boots or flats with a light cotton-y dress that you've belted for definition. Can't you see this shopping at the local craft fair? LOVE. PS, how awesome are craft fairs in general? I love summer and the wacky stuff people try and sell, I really do. Anyhow. I know that the first time you wear a dress on a Wednesday you're going to be feel weird and dressed up. This is normal. Keep trying.



Skirt

Items in this set:
Red ruched sleeve top, 19 GBP
dandelion bowtie skirt, $47
Roxy 'Only a Girl' Handbag (Girls), $32
Mod Retro Indie Clothing & Vintage Clothes, $28
Vintage style pearl ring, £8, Asos | Asos April Drop | InStyle UK

I LOVE skirts in the summer. This one is tres adorable with its nautical print, right? Anyway, see how summery and adorable it looks? And it gives you a chance to show off the long line of your leg, not the chopped off thick part that a pair of capris accentuates. The best part about skirts is you can wear them with a tee during the day, and pop on better accessories for a date night or bbq-type get together. Also, this outfit makes me want to go for a vintage bike ride in the city. I don't have a vintage bike. Also, I live closer to cows than city. But still.



Shorts

Items in this set:
Sunny cotton V-neck cardigan, $160
American Eagle AE Women's Plaid Camp Shirt Blue Plaid, $35
Khaki linen long shorts, 18 GBP
Flats|Shoes:Women's Casual Flats, Sexy Flats, Black Flats,White Flats,..., $14
Candice Stud Tote, $27

Don't worry, uber-casual girls! I didn't forget about you. Shorts are totally fine for the summer. I love me a good pair of cargo or walking shorts. Just make sure they stop BEFORE the knee-cap, or you'll land back in stumps0ville. Shorts can make you look unbalanced when they are cut too slim, so look for a cuff or detail around the bottom to help balance the look out. I like to pair my shorts with something more substantial up top to avoid looking like a camp counselor (I wore an outfit like this one grocery shopping the other day. I might have been pushing the summer thing just a little). Wear with flats, flip flops or wedges and you are totally set.

So, have I talked anyone out of capris yet? Please say I have. I promise I will leave my pants unrolled if you promise to try a summer skirt? Deal? K.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like capris! I think they are hideous! Thanks for the cute alternatives to capris :)

mushbelly said...

ok - so what about this?

today I am wearing my skinny jeans -but I cuffed them at the bottom, so they hit just above my ankle. Im also wearing red wedges, a crisp white button-up shirt and a grey cardigan. So - does that count as capris? I was thinking it looked cute and summery - but maybe I should un-cuff them.

Jae said...

Mush, that's what I mean about cropped jeans. I think they are adorable in an Audrey Hepburn-vintage way. The prob with capris is that they cut across the widest part of your calf and are like HEY LOOK HERE. As long as your crops hit around a slender part of your ankle, you're fine.

Kathy said...

All right, Jae. I'm going to say it. What about us Mormon moms, especially us shorties, where stopping before the kneecap isn't an option?

Jae said...

LOL Kathy. Find shorts that stop at the knee cap. They exist, I promise! I own several. Something like this:
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod55130025&ecid=BGCIFroogleFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=T2LG1

(I know those are super expensive, but you get the idea. Totally long enough without being fuddy)

Plus, dresses and skirts are perfect too. Don't let capris be your only option! Check out Downeast Basics, etc for better ideas. This dress:
http://www.downeastbasics.com/centerpiecedress.aspx

Totally cute and modest, casual enough for day and not capris!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I don't agree about capris always being a no because some of us have skinny calfs and don't wear them with ugly sandals. :P

Anonymous said...

The price of those shorts was good for a laugh. This is one of those areas where I know the fashion rule is to not wear capris and I'll just continue to happily break it. I hate dresses and skirts. I have never found a pair of shorts actually fall at the right spot. Capris are soo much easier. You never worry if you're showing any religion and yet much cooler than pants.
Also, my thighs are very little (but not my hips) which makes my shorts extra baggy and therefore I'm always worried I'm showing. kwim?
Still, I like your blog. :)

Jen said...

I would love to find some cute summery skirts to wear--I just can't seem to find something semi-casual (w/out being beachy).

Jae said...

Anon #1: You're wearing capris right now, aren't you.

I knew this post would get a lot of flack because moms and capris go together like peanut butter and jelly. I fyou really love them, by all means, wear them. I just think there are better, more current options. Please note that I hate capris because they are unflattering, not because they are comfortable and convenient. lol. I enjoy things that are comfortable and convenient. Like microwave chicken nuggets.

Anonymous said...

Anon #1 here - Nope I am wearing pants here at work today. :) The 4 pairs I have ARE flattering in my opinion and I wear them when it is too warm for pants and a bit cool for shorts/skirts not solely because they are comfortable/convenient. I own plenty of shorts, dresses, skirts and a couple of pairs of cropped pants.

Lauren said...

@Anon #1:
Explain to me how capris that are only about 6 inches shorter than full-length pants are just soooooooo much cooler and less stuffy than said pants. I just don't get it.

Jennifer Wells said...

"I know that the first time you wear a dress on a Wednesday you're going to be feel weird and dressed up. This is normal. Keep trying."

thank you thank you thank you

i love skirts and dresses but i'm always afraid of looking stuffy in them, or too prim or too little-girly or something

i love the post you had awhile back that showed "what to wear in the summer"

you included an a-line skirt with a t-shirt

yay!

0 said...

I can tell you that you talked me out of capri's if you like, even though I would literally never be seen dead in them (it's in my will. True story.*)? Then you'll get that warm fuzzy feeling of having committed a good deed and everyone wins!

I like the shorts in the last set, although I can't wear them, because I have boy-hips and I would look like a 12 yr old prepubescent boy. If I can ever be bothered to shave my legs (quest for a maxi dress still rages on) then I will be rocking the short shorts. It's ok to hate on me for that. Shall I make you feel better? Ok, I'll look about 15, so all the old ladies will tut at me for being 15 and having pink hair and having a baby, and they will make Loud Comments about what a Shame it is about Young Girls These Days, to which I'll be all like 'SEE THIS SPARKLE HERE? IT'S A WEDDING RING, BIATCH. SEE THIS PIECE OF PAPER HERE? THAT'S MY DEGREE. SUCK ON IT.' Except I dropped out so I'll totes be lying but it's ok, no one has to know.

Tomorrow I'm going to rock a floral dress and a leather jacket and I'm going to think of you when I do it.

Also I love how sometimes you throw in items that are in British Money. It makes me warm in my little English belly.



*this may be a lie.

j said...

hm i've actually seen someone wear capris that weren't particularly stumpifying (and i have basis for comparison) but then she has very thin ankles and calves, so maybe that helps her not look like that poor woman in your hideous photo!

Jae said...

Arianette, as always, thank you for backing me up on this. You are a pillar of support and attractiveness for moms everywhere. You can wear short shorts. I give you permission.

And I KNOW. I am from Canada, and anytime I go home to visit I get the teen-mom stinkeye from old ladies.

Anonymous said...

I'll give up capris if you can give me an alternative. I'd wear skirts but I've got large calves, and feel uncomfortable showing them. Shorts are out for the same reason. So that leaves me capris or full-length pants in summer, and capris are so much cooler (by which I mean, less hot). What do you think? Do I have your go-ahead to wear capris? :o)

carrie said...

I have given up capris! They DO give me cankles and fat calves. This is the first spring/summer I'm forgoing capris. I've bought bermudas and actual shorts instead! I am preaching the "no capri" rule to everyone I meet.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog when I googed, "Cute summer pants that are not capris". I agree with you. I cannot stand capris. I don't really mind them on others, but I look horrible in them and I know it and admit it and won't wear them other than when doing housework! It is so hard to find cute summer pants that are not capris! Why why why??? I like light weight fabrics for the summer and would like some nice cute summer pants. Is that too much to ask for? Apparently most every store in the world thinks so. I don't like to wear shorts in public because I don't like how my legs look and I am not comfortable in jeans.. especially in the heat. I have very few pants that I consider cute summer pants because I cannot find any in the stores. I don't really like to wear dresses or skirts either.. so I do what I can with what I have. Winter wear is no problem for me. I have lots of pants suitable for winter.

Anonymous said...

I'm also so glad to find others that hate capris! They invade my town every summer and drive me crazy.

Alicia said...

I didn't have a problem with Capris... but now I want to get me a cute skirt (or two!!) I want to try a different look this summer! Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!!

Rider Wear said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does not love capris! I think they're hideous! Thank you for the alternatives to soft capris

kevlar jeans

Anonymous said...

I really despise capris and crop pants. At 54 the I now have spider veins. Who wants to expose these when trying to look your best? They used to make lightweight cotton (not hot spandex) summer pants in an endless variety of colors and designs. Now I can't find them anywhere. I end up wearing hot jeans rather than feel dumpy in awful capris. Wake up fashion world. At least give us a choice.

Webpace India said...

Beautiful blog!All dresses are very nice, thanks for sharing. Contact us for Website Designing Company in India

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.