What to Wear: In the Summer

Thursday, June 18, 2009

So sorry for the lacking in posting lately. Last Tuesday I came down with something horrible that had me crying in bed and praying for the sweet relief of death. When I went to the doc to have it checked out, he told me a I had a virus (SWINE FLUUUUU) and sinusitus. Now, sinusitus sounds completely made up, but I assure you it is not. It is the worst possible sickness. Ever. Your sinuses get infected and you just sit around feeling like you have a balloon for a head. And it lasts foreeeeeever. Here it is a week and a half later and I still have it, after a round of antibiotics. I think I'm on the tail end, but I literally stayed in bed for six days straight.

ANYWAYS, I got a couple comments about what to wear in the summer. I feel like for moms, the summer is so tricky because everyone is all "Hey, didn't you know that capris are great?" and I'm like errrr. Boo. My actual reaction to capris is a sigh and a shoulder shrug. I understand why you want to wear them, I do. I just think they make EVERYONE look three inches shorter than they are. I'm 5'4", I can't afford three inches. Not to mention everyone wears too-long capris with some awful flipflops, which makes ANYONE look like they have serious cankles. I used to work with a girl that would wear that exact outfit like, every day and to this day, if I hear the word cankle, I immediately think of her. I'M SORRY but it's her own fault for making her legs look like that.

In the end, the capris come down to a length problem for me. Too many women don't pay attention to the length and end up stumpifying themselves. Your capris should not hit you mid-shin. If you MUST wear them, I don't want them to hit any lower than the little hollow under the knee cap. If you can't do that, then put the capris down, and walk away.

However, we have better options. HOORAY FOR BERMUDA SHORTS! I love them to an inordinate degree. Its how a respectable mom gets away with waring shorts and 1) doesn't look trashy in cutoffs and 2) doesn't look like she's completely given up on herself with capris. Here are some styles I love.









K, so this is a casual version of the bermuda short. (Kohls) They are a little looser and have tie details, which lends them to an easier look with this awesome embroidered top from F21. I LOOOOVE an espadrille and these ones from Spiegel will look so pretty laced up a nice, tan leg. GET A TAN. Bag is by Melie Bianco, and its shape is casual and slouchy.














K, but you can also dress up the bermuda shorts. I mean, you're not going to wear this to a cocktail party, but dinner with your significant other, yes indeed. Shorts are from Kohls and are completely unadorned, flat front and cut slim. Then you can do a looser, more blouse-y top with an awesome handbag from Melia Bianco and some awesome wedges from Ann Taylor Loft. Wedges + shorts = happiness.

However, shorts are not your only option for coolness in the summer. Consider the skirt. I know its like really? can I pull off wearing a skirt for everyday? The answer is YES. Just choose more casual fabrics and dress it down with t-shirts, and you can totally do a skirt. I've even been known to travel in skirts, just because they are easy and low maintenance. Choose one that is knee length or shorter, and a-line so you don't veer into more formal pencil territory. Check it out:







How cute would this be for shopping on a Saturday, hitting a Farmer's Market or going to brunch? The shirt is F21, the skirt is Vera Wang, shoes are AmiClubWear( (for $9!) and the bag is ShopSuey. I feel like this is such a new take on the "running around" outfit. Why not?

Remember that the summer is easy, casual and comfortable. I purposely did without accessories on these outfits because in the summer, I get hot and don't want a ton of stuff touching me.

Choose outfits that don't need layering. If you try on a shirt and think it needs a cami underneath, put it back or save it for the fall or winter. And choose light fabrics with a little stretch to them so you can move and do all your fun summery things; you should never have to suffer to look good, UNLESS it's because you bought a new pair of four inch heels. Then it is totally okay to suffer, because they make your legs look hot.

So try a bermuda short or a casual skirt and get unstuck from Capri-land!

8 comments:

Lisa S. Luckey said...

Thanks for this. I'm going out to get some more tops with Bermuda shorts and maybe look for more skirts.

You always have such great ideas and are very talented in that.

Thank you once more.

Shari said...

Ugh, I wish you were around here. I would drag you out and make you help me find things. lol

(I totally knew you were going to say bermuda shorts though. :D )

Kristy said...

Thanks for the tips! I love your blog. Question--did you recently find those flats with the ankle strap? And, if so, do you have a link for them? I need them! Thanks again!

Kelli said...

Don't those lace up type shoes also shorten the legs and stumpify? Just wondering- I've heard that before.

Deb said...

So glad you're back!

Hope you feel better.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Mmmkay, thanks!
I've been loving me some skirts this summer. Target actually has some stretch cotton ones that are halfway decent and they look cute with a graphic tee.
I absolutely cannot - due to genetics and the shape of my lower leg - wear strappy, lace-up espadrilles. They make me look like a frumpaholic. They should have a warning label on them. "Do not wear unless legs resemble that of a prima ballerina."

Nathaly said...

Cute, Jae. I want all those outfits. Especially the white espadrilles. I NEED some white shoes.

Debbie said...

Wow!! All those are perfect outfits for summer days... I too got summer dress from Spiegel just last week...

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.