Today in "Awful Trends That Shouldn't Have Happened in the First Time" News....

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

YOU GUYS.

I was at Macy's the other day (in my great search for the perfect sunglasses that lasted like, three weeks) and I encountered a horrifying sight.

There, parked in the foyer of the store, was a huge display of...

MINI. BACKPACKS.

Like, just take a moment to let that soak in. 

They looked like this:



....and they were $250.

Say it isn't SO! Mini backpacks were a terrible idea in 1998 and I don't know why they're back.

When I was 14, I saved all of the money I made from cleaning my aunt's house (which was a pricey $20 per week) to purchase what I understood to be the height of fashion back in 1998 – a mini backpack. It was $19.99 and it was beautiful. In fact, my two best friends and I all bought the same one so we could be stylin' when we were chauffeured to the mall by our parents for the afternoon. We would eat Chinese food in the food court and buy all of the plastic accessories and baby t-shirts with sassy sayings on them that we could handle. All while keeping our chore money and Bonne Bell stowed safely in our randomly tiny backpacks with leather straps. And just because I know you're dying to know, they were brown and navy plaid and inexplicably furry.

Do you notice the key fact about the above story?

I'll give you a hint. What the heck, I'll just tell you. This isn't a mystery book. It's the fact that it was 1998 and I was 14.

If these two factors are true for you, I'll congratulate you for both understanding how to operate electronic devices and discovering the secret to time travel. Because those are the only two reasons anyone should ever be able to wear a mini backpack. Ever. In the history of mankind.

I always cringe when I see a grown woman wearing a mini backpack. First of all, they're so tiny that they make everyone look massive in comparison. I was probably a size 0 at age 14, and I still wandered around looking like a complete linebacker with my tiny backpack. Add 16 years and two pregnancy's worth of baby fat to the mix and wearing a mini backpack would in fact make me look like the Incredible Hulk.

Secondly, they are super unnecessary. It's like the designer of the mini backpack took a look at a regular backpack and said, "You know what would be cool? If we shrunk this down to an eighth of its size so it was both harder to access and infinitely less convenient for storing anything other than child-sized Chapstick." 
Then he instantly created a miracle and we all have mini backpacks stored in the attic.

To me, the mini backpack is as completely offensive as the fanny pack. And we all know how lame fanny packs are, despite designers constantly trying to make them cool and the fact that Samantha wore one on "Sex and the City." Some things are never cool, no matter how much positive PR they've had.

Mini backpacks and fanny packs are the Charlie Sheen of the fashion world. He could save 500 children from a burning building and people would still be like, "Ehh…"

Don't lower your standards. If you had a complete lapse of sense and in fact purchased a $250 designer mini backpack, please immediately gift your mini backpack to your time-traveling teenager or donate it to someone who enjoys a lack of storage and the necessity of removing one's backpack every time one needs to get a debit card. 

As for wearing it, let's remember the Cardinal Rule of Trends: If you wore it the first time it was popular, you don't get to do it again. Particularly if you were 14 during the last cycle.

In the meantime, Michael Kors and I are going to have words.  

So, sound off: A) Did you ever have a mini backpack? And B) Did you immediately kill it with fire once you realized how ridiculous it was?

12 comments:

Piiches said...

I remember your mini backpack! And yes I 200% agree with you on the insanely terrible idea!! The mini backpack I had was a blue corduroy jansport one. The only ones that should be wearing a mini backpack are toddlers! They are the only ones that are the right size to wear them :)

Oh do you also remember the stuffed animal backpacks? I had a gorilla.... I see them back as harnesses for kids on a leash!! Lol

Unknown said...

I will admit that I, too, owned a mini-backpack. I was 12 and it was denim with some bedazzled jewels on it. It was home to very few items, as very few items fit into such a ridiculous bag. It was hideous, I gave it away by the time I was 14. I completely agree with you. No self-respecting woman should EVER even consider purchasing such an item... Unless it's for a 2-year-old girl for whom it is appropriately sized.

Jenna Foote said...

I did have a mini backpack. It was denim. DENIM.

Unknown said...

Lol! My parents were notorious for trying to buy me trendy things, but usually about 2 years too late.
I remember getting a mini backpack for Christmas one year, and I was so annoyed because of course that trend had passed and I couldn't use it. I never had the guts to tell my parents about their terrible taste and timing though, so such things would just sit in my closet.
So long story short, yes I had one but I never used it, and no, I would not buy one now. They were a terrible trend the first time.

Unknown said...

I KNOW. I literally do not know how to keep the last tattered shards of my sanity together in a world where crop tops, palazzo pants, jelly shoes and now mini backpacks are considered 'fashion'. I was lucky to have a very stylish mother who wouldn't let me wear these items the first time round, and I will love her that little bit more for protecting me from these horrors! On the other hand, what I've just written sounds like something she'd say -so I ve turned into my mother without realising...

Heidi J said...

Mini backpacks are a pickpocketer's dream too. My suggestion for new public service message (maybe post these in subway stations?) "Friends don't let friends stash their cash in mini back-pack trash." You're welcome.

Gillian said...

I used to have a backpack that was actually a teddy bear... like when I was 8 or something. I called it Ursula (get it?) and thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Jae said...

So glad to hear I'm not the only one demented enough to have a mini backpack at one point in time. And Avril, we ALL turn into our mothers eventually, right?

Jae said...

Also I'm reasonably sure I had a mini COW backpack.

Unknown said...

You crack me up. I look forward to any day you have a post. I missed the mini-backpack phase even though we have a daughter your age. I feel certain I will miss it again since I wouldn't pay 250 for a full size purse let alone a suitcase. Thanks for your humor. Never fails to make my day.

Anonymous said...

I truly did laugh out loud and clapped my hands together as soon as I read the words "mini-backpack." Then my children thought I was insane.

This was completely delightful.

That being said, I don't hate on the idea of a mini-backpack, because I am notorious in my family for losing my purse. (Fortunately I haven't done that with any of my children...yet.) Plus it enables me to have my hands free.

That being said, I can understand your feelings. Loving something at 14 is pretty much a guarantee that you will loathe it at 16, and forever after that.

Unknown said...

Jae, I know right? Still, if being like my mum keeps me away from fashion atrocities like this then I am ok with it! It also lets me buy what she always termed as "good" make-up i.e. the expensive stuff!!!

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.