Sneaky Ways to Transition Trendy Summer Pieces into Fall

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh hey friends, long time no see. I'm still playing catch up -- I flew in yesterday afternoon and promptly fell asleep for two hours. My son slept for four hours straight and my daughter hung out and watched documentaries on Netflix because she's strange.

I had an awesome trip back home, with highlights including eating an entire Costco pumpkin pie, watching movies at 2 am with my brother while cutting out mustaches for a wedding shower and taking my kids to Niagara Falls and the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, which is where my husband and I had one of our first dates. There's a belly button lint collection, so it's pretty high brow stuff.

Fall in Canada was gooorgeous. I took my parents' dog out for walks and it was so warm and sunny and I overshared with polite Canadians. And then I came home to Utah, which is freezing right now. Seriously. There was frost on my windows. NOT COOL. But tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, which means I'm not dragging out the winter coats just yet.

When the weather is being more awkward than me apologizing to someone who stepped on my foot, it's time to work those transition pieces. You know, the ones you bought for summer but can't bear to put away? Flip flops need to head to the back of the closet, but there are some sneaky summer pieces you can keep around until it's time to bust out your winter boots.

The Maxi Skirt (Oh, come on you know I was going to say it.)

mc3



Mossimo biker jacket / Long fitted skirt / Dollhouse flat / Sephora Collection clutch / Giani onyx jewelry, $35 / Sole Society tube scarf

As an enthusiastic enthusiast of maxi skirts, I hate the way my wardrobe dwindles when I have to put them away. So I'm still wearing mind, just swapping out the flip flops and tees for leather jackets, flats and scarves. And the fair isle pattern to this skirt is just sooooo fall shopping and skipping through leaves.

The Bright Pants (Or statement piece)
fall4



Dorothy Perkins jersey knit blazer / Old Navy green jegging / Topshop lacy camisole / Ribbon ballet shoes / ASOS black top handle handbag / Forever 21 necklace / Miss Selfridge black belt


So bright colors and neon were ha-yuge all summer long, but don't ditch your bright skinnies now that it's all doom and gloom and pumpkin spice lattes. Instead, you can totally wear them -- just tone them down with neutrals like tan, black and navy. Super cute and totally fall apropros. Although I'll admit that I'll miss wearing my yellow skinnies with the most obnoxiously bright color combinations that I can think of.

The Chambray Shirt
fall2



Chambray is a summer fabric -- it's light and airy. I have some heavier chambray shirts that may veer into denim territory, but I still don't want to ditch my cute chambray altogether. In fact, using it as a layering piece has made it kind of a staple around these parts. I've been LIVING in a chambray, black jeans and boots combo for the past three weeks. Layer it up under a lighter sweater and it's super cute and not a bajillion degrees.

The Camo Skinny
fall3



I searched and searched for my camo skinnies and finally found them when the summer was almost over. So what's a girl to do? I'm wearing mind with chunky sweaters and boots. A word to the wise though -- if you wear your camo skinnies with boots, I find that a more shapely boot looks best. Wearing my camo skinnies with my Fryes looks waaaay too much like I'm actually in the army. Swap it out for slouchy or taller boots and they look much better.

So save your money for better stuff, like when you shop for yourself on Black Friday... not that I do that or anything.

And probably don't eat an entire Costco pumpkin pie.

0 comments:

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.