All Dressed Up and Nowhere to Go

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One complaint I often hear from moms is that they have nowhere to wear all the cute things posted on fashion blogs. I mean, really! When you're hauling diapers around, the clutch doesn't really have a place in your life. I can totally understand that. My husband bought me a gorgeous little designer handbag right before I had my first baby and I only got to carry it for like, a month before it was honkin' huge bag time.

Now, I'm sure you already know that I don't like this kind of thinking. It's like only eating fish sticks for a week yourself because that's all your picky two-year-old will eat. I think that stepping it up appearance-wise can make a big difference in how you carry yourself and how you feel.

But how can you make trendier, cuter stuff part of your daily repertoire? I'll tell you right now, it's going to freak some people out. When I started wearing dresses casually like, four years ago, people would always ask me why I was "so dressed up." And I'll admit, it annoyed me to death -- like, is anything but jeans considered "dressed up?" But after a while, people got used to it and I don't hear a peep.

Yes, it's hard to transition and it's a little embarrassing when people make a big deal about your wearing flats instead of sneakers, but it's all for a good cause, right?

Instead of sticking with the same old because you don't really have anywhere to wear something new, MAKE UP A REASON.

Check it out:

fancy3



Seriously, one of the first things I do when I buy a new jacket or pair of shoes is snag a babysitter and tell my hubs we're going out for a night. Yes, I could go to the movies in a hoodie and sneaks, but it's way more fun to bust out the leopard print heels for a date, even if it's just to the cheap theater (which, in most cases for us, it is).

dressed



Or how about a girl's night? I love to go for lunch or din-dins with my friends and wear some of my better stuff that doesn't get much play on a daily basis. I wore my yellow skinnies out to a friend's birthday lunch on Monday and I'm telling you now, women can appreciate colored jeans more than a man ever could.

fancy2



Even hanging out with your kids on a trip to the museum gives you a chance to bust out your new scarf or wear a preppy cardigan instead of the same old stuff.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be waiting for an invitation to the Oscars to get a little dressed up every now and again. For one, it's probably not going to happen, and if it does, you'll end up wearing Spanx.

NOT FUN.

Instead of biting your lip and relegating cute clothes to the back of your closet, bust 'em out and make 'em work for whatever you're doing. I cannot tell you how much of a difference it makes. I'm not even kidding. Yesterday I did laundry and mopped floors in a maxi skirt. I'd be lying if I said I didn't spin around a little and pretend I was Cinderella. I'm only human. Regardless, I didn't have to avoid my own reflection when I cleaned the mirrors, which is totally what happens when I'm hanging around the house in my husband's basketball shorts and that hoodie I have with inexplicable burn marks. I just can't bring myself to throw it out.

Anyway, I give you a challenge to find an "occasion" where you can get dressed up this week. Hey, I'm not talking stilettos and a cocktail dress to your kid's field trip, I'm talking lunch with the girls, an impromptu outing with your kidlets, or to surprise your significant other for lunch at work. Not only will it inspire you to wear some of the more special pieces in your closet, but it's FUN.

Will you promise? Dooooooooo it. Peeeeeer pressure!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I TOTALLY understand-Seriously the most annoying thing is when people ask you why you are so dressed up!! I hate it! It makes me feel dumb for wanting to look nice. I LOVE wearing dresses!! And seriously, a lot of the time I would much rather wear a dress than anything else. It's only one piece of clothing so it's actually my "lazy" outfit a lot of the time when I don't know what else to wear, and most of mine are pretty comfortable. I find it so much easier to hide my nice little postpartum belly with a cute dress than crying my way through every store in town trying to find cute pants that don't give me a muffin top! I too get sick of waiting for something to dress up because, sadly, it doesn't happen often enough-so I just dress up whenever I feel like it!

Jennifer Wells said...

I think life is so much nicer when you add a little attention to everything. Your appearance is no exception! I'm not saying daily trips to the salon, but a cute, manageable haircut, and functional, attractive clothes are so worth having.

And yes, it's very annoying when people make you feel like you're overdoing it.

Jae said...

People who make you feel like you're overdoing it in a cute summer dress are probably the ones who don't want to put effort into their appearance... you're making them feel bad! lol

Call me shallow, but I have a better attitude if I get up, get dressed and do something with my hair. If I'm shlubbing it at home, I seriously don't get as much done. Not to mention I would be a huge hypocrite if I was blogging about cute shoes while wearing bunny slippers!!

Kate said...

@Ashley, I lived in dresses when I was post-partum with my son! I know exactly what you mean.

I went to a St. Patrick's Day party this year in a green skirt (I mean, right?) and everyone did the "WOW!" thing. (Really? I thought we were at a party?) So YES - Jae, I love your attitude and all your tips. Keep 'em coming!

Emily said...

I love this and I totally agree with it! I love to dress up (well I do a style blog too...but I did before I ever blogged about it). I love feeling put together!
Creamy

MXTorres said...

This post is my feelings exactly. I work in a casual friday dress enviroment everyday.I don't even like jeans I much rather wear a skirt or dress everyday with nice heels and a cute blazer and I do. It just makes me feel much better about myself and brightens my day. It's so much easier for me to dress up then dress down and look casual. I'm still trying to work on a casual wardrobe because I gravitate to all the dressy clothes.I always say its better to be overdressed than underdressed. Just discovered your blog and love it.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.