In the Year 2000....

Thursday, January 14, 2010

This should really be a freaky Friday post, because it is so awesomely bad, but I have something else cooking for that. So today, you get to make fun of me!

I was going through some things the other day. When my hubby built me the new closet where dreams come true, he also chucked a bunch of old, sentimental stuff that had been holing up in the shelf above the closet at me to clean up. Among this stuff were my old journals.

K, can I first say, how EMBARRASSING are old journals? I don't know WHY we are urged to keep them. For posterity? If my grandchildren ever get ahold of them, all they'll know about me was that I was extremely awkward, hated my brothers, loved every boy that ever walked the earth and couldn't decide whether I liked or disliked my friends. They're going to be like "OMG, Grandma Jae was such a LOSER." And I kind of was, so it would be true. I would so like to go back to the year 2000, when I was in grade ten and thought it was fun to look "quirky" and be all like "Oh, honey no. No one likes your orange cargo pants."

The weirdest thing that I did in my journal in the year 2000 was write down everything that I would wear in a given week. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of money to spend on clothes, so I strategically planned my outfits so that they always looked new and it didn't look like I was wearing the same pair of pants over and over again. Because I really was.

Let's take a look-see at a couple entries.

March, 2000:
-Khaki overalls (shudder) with green turtleneck. Hair in a half up ponytail with bangs parted to the side.
-White cargo pants, green plaid button up (Ugh, this was such a mom shirt, why did I ever wear it?) Hair down.
-Jeans with dragon shirt (This dragon shirt was EPIC. It was black with an embroidered Chinese dragon. Why would I wear something this? Ever. The worst part? One of my friends had the same one and we would coordinate days.)
-Jeans, orange FLANNEL shirt (just kill me) Hair in pigtails omg.
-Yellow vinyl pants (I am not kidding) blue elephant shirt (WTH???)

Anyways, there's a little snippet. I was reading these and laughing my head off over what I thought was cool back in the day. Like those yellow pants were my pride and joy. PRIDE AND JOY.

Anyway, I also dug out some pictures of me from ten years ago! TEN! So embarrassing.


Here's me with a group of friends before a big dance. I'm in the white dress. The dance was in December, so I'd obviously not learned that a white dress in December was a faux pas. Also, that dress started WW3 around my house with my mom. I had to do the old switcheroo and leave wearing something else, then sneak it over to my friend's place to change into it. REBELLLLLL!


WHY am I wearing matching VEST and set of PANTS? The worst part is that I think I wore this for class pictures. I am preserved in a yearbook somewhere in this exact, hideous outfit.


With my best friends. I went through a Blossom-like phase where I wore large hats all of the time. This yellow one was the height of fashion.


This was through my faintly suggestive baby t-shirt phase. Cherries? Really? Also, clearly before I discovered eyebrow waxing, to be sure. How did I have friends???


And thus begins the bandanna phase. I wore bandannas. Everyday. Haven't we talked about doing things in excess before? WHO IS THIS PERSON?


Helllloooo high waisted jeans!!! I love that mom jeans look I had going at age 15.


The infamous yellow vinyl pants. These were my pride and joy. True story, I found them at an outlet store in the city, and they only had a size 11. In high school I was a size 3. I still wore them.

So, clearly, there was a time when my ideas of fashion left much to be desired. Ten years ago I liked strange things that no one else had. Today, I know that looking unique doesn't mean you need to dress like a psychopath.

Alright, now that I've sacrificed myself on the altar of dignity, it's your turn. Leave me some good comments about what trends you liked ten years ago that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole now (I HAD AN ORANGE FLANNEL SHIRT) If you're really brave, e-mail me a throwback pic and I'll post 'em on another "In the Year 2000" post.

I'm going to go wash my eyes now.

13 comments:

Amy said...

Do I really want to go back 10 years? I was married and working full time so that meant I had to "dress up" for work. I wore lots of jumpers. Not sweater jumpers but dress jumpers. I had probably 4 or 5 so I could go a whole week wearing them. Denim ones, khaki ones, corduroy ones, etc. I believe I bought most from Chadwicks. :) I even thought I was cool because I would wear them with those keds with the really thick soles with white socks! I was a cool newly wed dang it! :)
The end of the year I was pregnant with #1 so there was a whole mess of scary maternity clothes...
I must go hang my head in shame now. :)

Kristen Day said...

Wow ok so ten years ago.....I wore anything that was ugly at the salvation army or thrift store! I had that stupid brown plaid hat that I wore everywhere, and always wearing a mens sweater that was a size large and I was only a juniors size XS. Do you remember those green bomber jackets with the orange on the inside? I wore it all the time! I didn't want to get a warm winter coat cause I thought I was so cool, so I froze in it all winter. I'm on the side of the picture of you with Erin and Vanessa. Sad ten years ago!

NaDell said...

I just sent you an email of a couple pictures with descriptions. I have NO idea how I got married in that time period. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

This is why I have a love-hate relationship with fashion. I hate looking back most times.

I dressed like a mom 10 years ago and likely still dress like one now. In fact, I dare say that there may even be some clothes in my closet that I have had for (gasp!) 10 years that I still wear.

I'm cool like that. :-)

LoLa

Melissa said...

I wore an Elmo shirt. In high school. With matching Elmo earrings! One day I paired my Elmo ensemble with khaki overalls. Puke. Overalls were my staple until about 2005 when I realized they were so not cool. I regularly wore them with a cardigan in 2003 when I started dating my husband. I can't believe he still married me! LOL

Nurse Heidi said...

It does my heart good to see that our wardrobes could have seamlessly meshed in my younger years. The problem is that you've made several leaps farther ahead of me in fashion sense since then ;).

Unknown said...

I remember seeing you in those yellow pants and thinking, wow. That girl can pull off whatever she wants. LOVE IT!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Overalls. Why did they ever leave the farm? I was also wearing them IN COLLEGE in 2000. And, ahem, in 2002 when I graduated and got married. Ah-mazing. Nothing says "competent adult" like denim overalls.
I like to also think of all the high-waisted jeans that I wore paired with short sweaters. They were extremely flattering, I'm sure. Though, to be fair, I think bums sticking out of ill-fitting low-rise jeans are even less flattering. MIDDLE GROUND, PEOPLE!
I don't really want to tell you what I was wearing in grade ten (which I totally did in Canada so I can call it that). It was my Kurt Cobain period...

Anna@Exasperation said...

OH! And white, platform keds. Let's not forget those beauts!

Jae said...

Brooke! You've actually seen those pants in person, lol I forgot. DO you still have that pic of us dressed up in the muu muus?

I can beat you all. I had platform white Keds WITH velcro closures. Three of them.

Kristen, I remember all of those outfits, especially the big jacket.

I love all of these old school ensembles. Jumpers! Overalls! Mom jeans with tiny shirts! So good...

Jenna said...

Ten years ago, I was only in 7th grade. But I still had horrible style. I wore those stupid butterfly clips on my head in a row every single day. They didn't even allow them in PE because if a ball hit you on the top of your head, you might need 15 stitches to fix the damage. I also wore clam diggers a lot and those huge, clunky Doc Marten sandals. Ugh, horrible. I also used to straighten all of my hair (which took forever because I had no flat iron and had super long hair) and then would crimp about 12 pieces on the top. So weird.

Then, during my freshman year, I went through a terrible "thrift store" phase. But it wasn't like cute vintage thrift store ... it was "I got this out of a garbage can and I don't care because I'm hardcore like that." What was I thinking??

Madi said...

I totally had those yellow pants but in hot pink. I have a hideous pic of me at Lagoon in a white baby-t shirt and hot pink pants. I thought I was as hot as it got.

Oh, and I inherited some weirdo yellow rain pants that I tried to pull off with a black shirt and black beanie and gloves since it was cold. Everyone just kept asking why I was wearing rain pants.
Why oh why.

bequi said...

I had a thing for sleeveless turtleneck shirts and weird socks. like, rainbow toe socks with fringe. and I wore them with fuzzy black slippers (yes, to school). I also had that haircut where the back looks like a duck's butt. I seem to remember black combat boots. I had one of those shirts that's all scrunched up and you stretch it out and it looks like scales. It was puke green. I loved it. I never really liked overalls because I have long legs and a sorter torso, so they never fit right. But when I did wear them (we were poor, too, so I wore what I could get) I made sure at least one strap was undone.

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog contents © How Not to Dress Like A Mom 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.